Stuart H. Singer
t: 954 356 0011
f: 954 356 0022
Areas of Practice
Harvard Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1981; Editor & President, Harvard Law Review; Sears Prize
Northwestern University, M.A., highest distinction, Communication Studies, 1978
Northwestern University, B.S., highest distinction, Communication Studies, 1978; National Collegiate Debate Championship, 1978
Associate Justice Byron R. White, United States Supreme Court, 1981-1983
Stuart H. Singer is a trial and appellate lawyer who has handled complex cases throughout the country for nearly thirty years. He has represented many of the nation’s leading corporations such as Carnival Corporation, Fidelity National Financial, Fresh Del Monte Produce, NASCAR, NextEra Energy and Office Depot. Mr. Singer is listed in LawDragon's 500 Leading Lawyers in America, as well as in Best Lawyers in America, Chambers U.S.A. Guide to Leading Lawyers for Business (first tier ranking in commercial litigation and antitrust), and various other publications reflecting the views of his peers and clients. He has been certified by The Florida Bar as a specialist in business litigation since 1996. Mr. Singer serves as administrative partner for the Firm's Ft. Lauderdale office.
Significant recent and current representations include:
- Representation of NextEra Energy, the nation’s largest producer of renewable energy, in numerous matters throughout the country. He has successfully litigated over uranium supply contracts in Wisconsin, defended consumer class actions, and handled trade secret and employment matters.
- Counsel for Carnival Corporation, the nations’ largest cruise lines, in various litigation matters over a 15 year period.
- Representation of major corporations as opt-out plaintiffs in Liquid Crystal Display and Cathode Ray Tube price-fixing litigation in federal court in California.
- Defended NASCAR in litigation brought by Kentucky Speedway alleging monopolization of top-level stock car racing. A summary judgment in favor of NASCAR was affirmed by the Sixth Circuit.
- Defended Fresh Del Monte Produce in antitrust litigation alleging monopolization of the fresh pineapple business. A summary judgment in favor of Fresh Del Monte was affirmed by the Second Circuit. Case was recognized by the Daily Business Review for its "Most Effective Lawyer" award in class action litigation for 2009.
- Lead counsel for a certified class of over 2,000,000 current and former Amway distributors in action in federal court in California. In December 2012, the district court granted final approval to settlement of the action involving substantial economic and injunctive relief, following favorable rulings which had been affirmed by the 9th Circuit.
- Procured dismissal with prejudice of claims against former officers and directors under Delaware law, which was affirmed by Eleventh Circuit, and recognized by the Daily Business Review for a "Most Effective Lawyer" award.
- Currently co-lead counsel for investors in class action suit arising from the Fairfield Greenwich funds which supplied the largest source of financing for Bernard Madoff’s ponzi scheme. The case has resulted in important rulings upholding the rights of investors to prosecute federal and state claims.
- Current representation of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences in litigation against GoDaddy.com under the Federal Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.
- Current representation of a nationally prominent law firm in defense of professional liability claims.
- Current representation of former CEO of public company in defense of securities class action and derivative suits.
- Lead counsel for Fortune 500 insurer in complex litigation and investigative matters.
Mr. Singer is also lead counsel in the firm's pro bono representation of a certified class of 1.9 million children seeking to enforce federal Medicaid rights in federal court in Florida, for which the Florida Medical Association in October 2012 recognized Mr. Singer with its Distinguished Layman Award.
In addition, Mr. Singer has successfully handled numerous arbitrations, including a two-month trial over sale of a high technology business, and numerous appellate matters, including cases in the Second, Fourth, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits, as well as the Florida Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of the United States. From 2010 to 2013, Mr. Singer served on the ABA's Standing Committee on Amicus Briefs.
Mr. Singer is a member of the American Law Institute, and was appointed as an Advisor for the Restatement of Law Third, Torts, on Liability for Economic Harm and to the 2012 selection committee for the ALI's Young Scholars Medal. He formerly chaired the Florida Bar's Committee on Civil Rules and has been appointed by the Chief Judge of the District Court to a committee working to obtain a new federal courthouse. Mr. Singer is co-author of a book on Trade Secret law, and has spoken regularly to professional groups on litigation, constitutional law and antitrust topics. He previously taught on the adjunct faculty at the University of Miami law school and has been a guest lecturer at the University of Florida law school.
Mr. Singer is a member of the governing board of the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues, the South Florida Holocaust Documentation and Education Center, and the Dean's Council of the Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs.
Selected Professional Awards and AssociationsMember, American Law Institute
LawDragon, 500 Leading Lawyers in America, 2006- present
Chambers & Partners Guide to Leading Lawyers for Business, 2005 – present
Best Lawyers in America, 2006 – present (Also named 2010 “Antitrust Lawyer of the Year” for Miami area)
Daily Business Review “Most Effective Lawyer” recognition in 2008 (bankruptcy) and 2009 (class actions)
Trade Secrets: Law & Practice, with David Quinto, (Oxford University Press, December 2008)
Note, Damage Awards for Constitutional Torts, 93 Harv. L. Rev. 966 (1980)
Case Comment, Good Faith Immunity of Municipalities Under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, 94 Harv. L. Rev. 215 (1980)
Mock trial participant, ABA Antitrust Section, Spring Meeting, 2006
54 BSF Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in 2013 Super Lawyers Magazine (2013 Super Lawyers)
The BSF Report: Spring 2013 (03.08.2013)
BSF Attorneys Negotiate Settlement for Madoff ‘Feeder Fund’ Investors (November 6, 2012)
Eighteen BSF Attorneys Named 2011 Super Lawyers (Recognition)
After a Decade of Antitrust Litigation, An Extra-Sweet Victory for Fresh Del Monte (Firm Newsletter Spring 2011)
Supreme Court Grants BSF's Cert Petition in Securities Case (Firm Newsletter Spring 2011)
Eleven BSF Attorneys Named 2010 Florida Super Lawyers (2010 Florida Super Lawyers)
Other BSF Cases of Interest (Winter 2010)
BSF Tallies Another Victory for NASCAR (Winter 2010)
BSF Bats Down Antitrust Claims Against Fresh Del Monte (Winter 2010)
BSF Successfully Defends NASCAR in Sixth Circuit Appeal (December 11, 2009)
Boies, Schiller & Flexner Commences Trial to Enforce Federal Medicaid Rights for Children (Press Release, December 7, 2009)
Firm Report: May 2009 (May 2009)
Ten BSF Attorneys Named 2009 Florida Super Lawyers (2009 Florida Super Lawyers)
Unprecedented Attempt to hold Directors Responsible Thwarted (December 8, 2008)
BSF and its client, Fresh Del Monte Win on Appeal (November 6, 2008)
Firm Report: July 2008 (07.28.2008)
Firm Report: January 2008 (Vol. 3, Issue I) (01.22.2008)
Firm Cited for Landmark Pro Bono Litigation on Behalf of 1.6 Million Florida Children (January 14, 2008, at A1)
Firm Report: July/August 2007 (Vol. 2, Issue II) (08.22.2007)
Firm Report: April 2007 (Vol. 2, Issue I) (04.01.2007)
Firm Report: July 2006 (Vol. 1, Issue II) (07.01.2006)
Florida Pediatricians Sue State Over Children’s Healthcare (December 5, 2005)
Seminars and Speaking Engagements
33rd Annual Federal Judicial Reception South Florida Chapter (2014)
2013 Anti-Defamation League Centennial Miami Jurisprudence Award Luncheon (2013)
United Way Woman's Leadership and Networking Dinner-Reception (2013)
Gulf Stream Council Boys Scouts of America (2012)
Gala 2012 New World Symphony (2012)
2011 South Florida in-house Counsel CLE Conference (2011)
Breakfast In-House Counsel CLE (2010)
2010 South Florida In-House Counsel CLE Conference FTL Office (2010)
Daily Business Review's Most Effective Lawyer Luncheon (2009)