Edward J. Normand
t: 914 749 8237
f: 914 749 8300
Area of Practice
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1995; Editor-in-Chief, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
College of William & Mary, A.B., English, 1992; Phi Beta Kappa
Hon. Joseph M. McLaughlin, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 1997-1998
Hon. Marjorie O. Rendell, United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1995-1996
United States District Courts: Southern District of New York, District of Colorado, and District of Utah
Mr. Normand's most recent representations include the following:
- Lead attorney for a condominium developer in litigation in federal and state court against the Attorney General of the State of New York and others, concerning the Attorney General's administrative determinations regarding a scrivener's error in the developer's offering plan and the disposition of $16 million in down payments held in escrow.
- Lead attorney for the ultimate owner of several hydroelectric facilities in New York in parallel litigation in federal court against the manager/operator of the facilities, and against a security trustee, for mismanagement of the facilities and of the owner's funds, seeking over $100 million in damages.
- Lead appellate attorney for the owner of a $5-6 million painting in litigation in New York state court against individuals claiming to have acted as his agent and individuals claiming to have purchased the painting from the supposed agent.
- Lead attorney for a large telecommunications company in litigation in Washington state court against another large telecommunications company concerning alleged $44 million breach of contract for pre-paid wireless services; and in litigation in New York state court against a large investment bank, including appeal from the dismissal of the company's fraud claims.
- Co-lead attorney for a software manufacturer in litigation in federal court against two large computer companies concerning the development of the Linux operating system and the ownership of UNIX copyrights. Co-lead attorney in two-week bench trial and three-week jury trial.
- Co-lead counsel (with another firm) in federal court representing participants in and beneficiaries of employee welfare benefit plans in class action litigation against a pharmaceutical benefits management company and its parent pharmaceutical drug manufacturer. Representation included motion practice seeking approval of $42.5 million settlement in district court and two appeals.
Selected Professional Awards and AssociationsAmerican Bar Association
New York City Bar Association
The Supreme Court, EPA and Chevron: The Uncertain Status of Deference to Agency Interpretations of Statutes, 25 Envtl. L. Rep. News & Analysis (Envtl. L. Inst.) 10,127 (March 1995) (co-authored).
BSF Represents Real Estate Developer Extell in Dispute Over Typo (Firm Newsletter Spring 2011)
Second Circuit Upholds World Trade Center Insurance Verdicts (November 30, 2006)