t: 914 749 8304
f: 914 749 8300
Areas of Practice
Nova Southeastern University, Shephard Broad Law Center, J.D., summa cum laude, 1999; Deans List; Editor, Law Review; Moot Court Society
Talmudic College of Florida, B.A., Talmud, 1995
Hon. Federico A. Moreno, United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 1999-2000
Florida and New York
Motty Shulman's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation involving securities, structured transactions, insurance products, financial instruments and auditing and accounting issues. Mr. Shulman has represented some of the world's largest banks and insurance companies, a Big Four accounting firm, a large independent movie studio, and several hedge funds.
Since joining the firm, Mr. Shulman's major matters have included the following:
- Representing an international bank in multiple litigations relating to its investment in an asset-backed commercial paper conduit.
- Representing one of largest trust services providers in litigation relating to billions of dollars of mortgage loan repurchases.
- Representing a large multinational insurer in numerous litigations relating to secondary market claims resulting from non-recourse premium financing and transactions involving stranger-originated life insurance.
- Representing a multi-billion dollar hedge fund in a variety of matters relating to its fixed-income positions.
- Representing an international financial services firm in connection with a multi-billion dollar put option.
- Representing a Big Four accounting firm in multiple litigations concerning its audit work for a former client.
- Served as special U.S. litigation counsel to the liquidators of a Cayman Islands hedge fund, The High Risk Opportunities Hub Fund (in Liquidation), in litigation arising out of the collapse of the Russian ruble in August 1998. In connection with that representation, Mr. Shulman assisted the liquidators of the hedge fund in recovering over $270 million.
- Representing a movie and television production studio in multiple litigations relating to contractual claims relating to license agreements.
- Representing a multistrategy hedge fund in connection with various securities-related litigations.
- Representing the world's leading provider of enterprise market information solutions in antitrust litigation.
Mr. Shulman has significant experience in analyzing complex economic, financial and valuation issues from a litigation perspective. In this regard he has worked with many of the nation's premiere experts on financial markets, securities and currency valuation, valuation of equity options, collateral mortgage backed securities, convertible debt instruments, currency and debt swap transactions and merger and acquisition activities. Mr. Shulman also litigated provisions of the ISDA (International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc.) Master Agreement and obtained the only opinion in the United States interpreting the Market Quotation close-out provisions of the ISDA Master Swap Agreement.
www.personaljurisdiction.com, 23 Nova L.R. 781 (Winter 1999)
The BSF Report: Spring 2013 (03.08.2013)
Other BSF Cases of Interest (Winter 2010)
Firm Report: May 2009 (May 2009)
Firm Report: January 2008 (Vol. 3, Issue I) (01.22.2008)
Firm Report: July/August 2007 (Vol. 2, Issue II) (08.22.2007)
BSF Recovers over $270 Million for client HRO Hub Fund (August 16, 2007)