Sigrid S. McCawley
t: 954 356 0011
f: 954 356 0022
Area of Practice
University of Florida Law School, J.D., honors, 1997; UF Trial Team; International Law Journal; Florida Law Alumni Counsel
University of Florida, B.A. , highest honors, History, 1994; Dean's List; Hall of Fame; Florida Blue Key; Panhellenic President; Presidential Recognition for Outstanding Leadership
Hon. Jose A. Gonzalez, Jr., United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 1997-1999
Florida and District of Columbia
Sigrid Stone McCawley’s practice consists of handling complex cases throughout the country for nearly twenty years on both the state and federal level, including handling a number of successful appeals. She has represented several Fortune 500 companies in significant litigation. Most recently she has been involved in a landmark case that has been before the United States Supreme Court not once, but twice, and both times resulting in success for her client in the case of Halliburton Co. v. Erica P. John Fund, Inc.
Significant Representations Include:
- Obtained a $155 million dollar settlement for a class in a pyramid scheme case against Amway Corporation.
- Successfully represented a fund in a securities case before the United States Supreme Court.
- Defended Fortune 500 Company in nationwide class action and related action resulting in a favorable ruling before the Colorado Supreme Court.
- Lead counsel in trust action and related cases pending in both state and federal courts involving challenges exceeding two billion dollars.
- Successfully defeated intellectual property challenge that went to the heart of a national call distribution company’s business model.
- Recovered millions of dollars for employees in various employment actions, including a successful appellate argument before the California Court of Appeal.
- Successfully challenged the constitutionality of provisions in developer owned project resulting in positive result for condominium associations.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. McCawley had an active energy litigation practice in Washington, D.C. at Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP. Her practice in D.C. included representing owners of a nuclear power plant in a dispute over a regulatory shutdown and representing the Potomac Electric Power Company in the defense of multiple class actions brought by landowners and environmentalists arising from a major oil spill in the Patuxent River. While in D.C., Ms. McCawley was also selected as a liaison for Ambassador Richard N. Gardner for the President's Advisory Committee on United States Trade Relations.
In 2009, Ms. McCawley was selected as one of the “40 Under 40” Broward County’s Rising Stars. She has been recognized a number of times by Super Lawyers. In 2005, Ms. McCawley was selected as the “Best of the Bar” by the South Florida Business Journal. Ms. McCawley is the Vice Chair of the Board of Directors of ChildNet, the organization designated by the State of Florida to manage the protection of neglected and abused children in Broward County.
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
Broward County Bar Association
Supreme Court upholds Basic v. Levinson (In The News)
Eighteen BSF Attorneys Named 2011 Super Lawyers (Recognition)
Supreme Court Grants BSF's Cert Petition in Securities Case (Firm Newsletter Spring 2011)
Firm Report: July 2008 (07.28.2008)
Firm Report: July/August 2007 (Vol. 2, Issue II) (08.22.2007)
Firm Report: April 2007 (Vol. 2, Issue I) (04.01.2007)
Government ServicePresident's Advisory Committee on United States Trade Relations: Liaison for Ambassador Richard N. Gardner, 2000-2002