Christopher E. Duffy
t: 212 446 2366
f: 212 446 2350
Areas of Practice
Columbia Law School, J.D., 2001; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Senior Editor, Columbia Law Review
University of Virginia, B.A., English, 1994
Supreme Court of the United States
United States Court of Appeals: Second, Third, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits
United States District Courts: Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
Chris Duffy was born in Dublin, Ireland. He is a graduate of the University of Virginia (B.A.) and the Columbia University School of Law (J.D.).
Chris represents clients in litigation, pre-litigation disputes, internal investigations, and law enforcement inquiries. He has represented witnesses in public hearings and investigative interviews conducted by the House of Representatives of the U.S. Congress, the U.S. Attorney's office, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission, the New York Attorney General, the New York State Assembly, the New York County District Attorney’s Office, and the New York City Department of Investigation.
Representative clients include Barclays, Goldman Sachs, the New York Yankees and SpaceX. Since joining the firm in 2002, his litigation matters have included the following:
- As part of a team led by firm chairman David Boies, obtained a full defense verdict for Starr International Company after a jury trial of claims brought by American International Group (AIG) seeking control of Starr’s board of directors and billions of dollars of Starr’s assets. Starr International Co. v. AIG, 648 F. Supp. 2d 546 (S.D.N.Y. 2009).
- For the New York Yankees, obtained an order under the New York Arts & Cultural Affairs Law barring StubHub from reselling tickets at a planned location near Yankee Stadium. “Yankees Win Game 1 in Battle With StubHub,” Wall Street Journal, March 20, 2013.
- For private equity firm Porton Capital, its C.E.O. and an affiliated fund, obtained a dismissal of all claims brought by 3M Company in a lawsuit alleging blackmail, conspiracy, commercial defamation and tortious interference with contract. 3M Co. v. Boulter, et al., 842 F. Supp. 2d 85 (D.D.C. 2012); “Lawsuits and Intrigue Over 3M Diagnostic Test,” New York Times, July 21, 2011.
- For Lerner Master Fund, served as co-lead counsel at trial in Delaware Chancery Court, resulting in judgment that a hedge fund breached its fiduciary and contractual duties by invoking “gates” to block a seed investor’s redemption of its investment. Paige Capital Management LLC v. Lerner Master Fund, LLC, 2011 Del. Ch. LEXIS 116 (Del.Ch. Aug. 8, 2011).
- For private equity firm Terra Firma, obtained a rare appellate reversal of a jury verdict in a multi-billion dollar fraud trial arising from the 2007 public-to-private auction of EMI Group. Terra Firma Investments (GP) 2 Ltd. v. Citigroup Inc., 716 F.3d 296 (2d Cir. 2013); “Terra Firma Gets New Trial in Citi Suit Over EMI Deal,” Wall Street Journal, May 31, 2013.
- Obtained a full defense judgment against claims brought by a former top cable television executive asserting an ownership interest in the YES Network. Gutkowski v. Steinbrenner, 680 F. Supp. 2d 602 (S.D.N.Y. 2010).
- For a New York private equity firm and several of its principals, won the dismissal with prejudice of all damages claims in a $150 million fiduciary duty lawsuit brought by a court-appointed bankruptcy trustee. Mukamal v. Bakes, 383 B.R. 798 (S.D. Fla. 2007), affirmed, 378 Fed. Appx. 890 (11th Cir. Apr. 30, 2010).
- For an international beverage company, obtained a preliminary and permanent injunction, upheld on appeal, of a $300 million corporate merger. Wisdom Import Sales Co. v. Labatt Brewing Co., 339 F.3d 101 (2d Cir. 2003).
- Multiple confidential matters involving the book publishing industry.
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
New York City Bar Association
Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) (2013, 2014, 2015)
Super Lawyers Rising Stars (Thomson Reuters) (2012, 2011)
The Statutory Classification of Cable-Delivered Internet Service, 100 Columbia Law Review 1251 (2000)
Fifty-three Attorneys Recognized as New York Metro Super Lawyers (October 10, 2016)
54 BSF Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in 2013 Super Lawyers Magazine (2013 Super Lawyers)
The BSF Report: Spring 2013 (03.08.2013)
Unprecedented Attempt to hold Directors Responsible Thwarted (December 8, 2008)
BSF client, Maurice "Hank" Greenberg, featured in Fortune magazine cover story (issue date 10/13/08)
Firm Report: January 2008 (Vol. 3, Issue I) (01.22.2008)
Seminars and Speaking Engagements
Faculty, Banking Law Institute of Practising Law Institute (2012)
Guest Speaker, “Corporations in Court” seminar at Columbia Law School (2011)
Guest Speaker, “Corporations in Court” seminar at Columbia Law School (2010)