Russell M. Franklin
t: 212 754 4211
f: 212 446 2350
Areas of Practice
Harvard Law School, J.D., 2007
Cornell University, B.A., with distinction, Government and Economics, 2004
Russell Franklin is partner in the firm’s Corporate Group with wide experience in a variety of corporate matters. Mr. Franklin has advised clients that participate in a broad range of industries on significant matters that span a variety of practice areas, including mergers and acquisitions, both domestic and cross-border; private equity transactions; joint ventures and similar strategic arrangements; corporate finance, including commercial lending and leveraged recapitalizations; cybersecurity work; and general business advisory work. Mr. Franklin has represented both mature companies, such as Goldman Sachs and YES Network, as well as newly formed entities that went on to become major players in their industries, such as Legends Hospitality.
Selected representative transactions are listed below:
- Advised various companies in the financial services space with respect to negotiating third party vendor contracts in light of material cybersecurity concerns.
- Advised an affiliate of EG Capital in connection with the sale of Waterpik to MidOcean Partners and co-investors Vulcan Capital, Northwestern Mutual, and Cheyenne, in a transaction valued in excess of $335 million.
- Advised Goldman Sachs Capital Partners in its acquisition of Drayer Physical Therapy Institute, a leading operator of outpatient physical therapy clinics focused on treating sports-related injuries.
- Advised YES Network in connection with the sale of a majority interest in YES Network to 21st Century Fox.
- Advised Goldman, Sachs & Co. as purchaser of the Colombian coal mining assets, and related port and railway assets, of Vale in a transaction valued at $407 million.
- Advised a fund managed by Anchorage Capital Group in its participation in a backstopped equity offering by DHT Holdings, a publicly traded operator of crude oil tankers.
- Advised EG Capital in connection with a $193 million leveraged recapitalization of Waterpik, via a senior secured first lien loan, in anticipation of its eventual disposition.
- Advised Goldman, Sachs & Co. in connection with the formation and ongoing management of Legends Hospitality, a full-service entertainment, sports, and hospitality service provider that partners with colleges and universities, professional sports teams, and municipalities.
- Advised Perella Weinberg Partners in connection with various investments in the energy sector.
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
Coalcorp Mining Sells Mining and Related Assets to Goldman Sachs Group (Lexpert Magazine: Big Deals, 2010)
Negotiating Third Party Vendor Contracts in an Age of Material Cybersecurity Concerns (Bloomberg BNA, 2016)
Boies, Schiller & Flexner Elects Eight New Partners (January 4, 2016)
The BSF Report: Spring 2013 (03.08.2013)
Legal Obstacles Overcome, $200M Deal Closed for Client Goldman Sachs (Firm Newsletter Spring 2011)