Eric J. Maurer
t: 202 274 1151
f: 202 237 6131
Areas of Practice
The George Washington University School of Law, J.D., high honors, 1996; Law Review; Moot Court Board; Order of the Coif
Johns Hopkins University, B.S., with honors, Biomedical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering, 1993
Hon. Roger B. Andewelt, United States Court of Federal Claims, 1996-1997
District of Columbia and Pennsylvania
United States Supreme Court
United States Courts of Appeals: Federal Circuit, Second Circuit
United States District Courts: Eastern District of Michigan, Eastern District of Texas, District of Colorado
United States Court of Federal Claims
United States Patent & Trademark Office
Eric Maurer’s practice emphasizes intellectual property litigation and counseling, as well as complex commercial litigation.
Mr. Maurer has years of patent litigation experience, including cases involving medical devices, digital imaging devices, streaming video, software, integrated circuits, liquid crystal displays, light emitting diodes, and automotive parts. Additionally, he has led due diligence projects and licensing negotiations on behalf of high-technology clients seeking to penetrate markets and maximize their patent portfolios.
Mr. Maurer has handled patent infringement lawsuits before federal district courts, the International Trade Commission, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the Supreme Court. Illustrative cases include:
- Co-led defense of a leading e-commerce company against claims of patent infringement related to streaming video, resulting in judgments of non-infringement on three patents and voluntary dismissals with prejudice on the two remaining patents (upheld on appeal)
- Led defense of advertising company against claims of patent infringement, resulting in a judgment of non-infringement (upheld on appeal).
- Representation of a software development company specializing in Internet security, resulting in a jury verdict of $10 million for patent infringement on behalf of the client (case settled after verdict).
- Representation of a major liquid crystal display (“LCD”) manufacturer in a patent infringement lawsuit, resulting in a jury verdict of $50 million for willful patent infringement on behalf of client (case settled after verdict).
- Representation of a major light emitting diode (“LED”) manufacturer as complainant before the International Trade Commission, resulting in the Commission finding that respondents violated section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930 by reason of patent infringement and issuing an exclusion order prohibiting the importation of respondent’s LEDs (case settled after appeal).
- Defense of a leading manufacturer of digital cameras and scanners against claims of patent infringement related to a data communication standard, resulting in a summary judgment of non-infringement (upheld on appeal).
Mr. Maurer was a partner at the Firm from 2007-2012. He rejoined the firm in 2016, after having formed his own firm, where he was involved in a wide range of intellectual property matters, including patent litigation, licensing negotiations, opinion work, and due diligence projects.
Mr. Maurer co-teaches the Patent Enforcement class at The George Washington University Law School.
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
American Intellectual Property Law Association
BSF Represents salesforce in Multidistrict Patent Litigation (Firm Newsletter Spring 2011)
Firm Report: April 2007 (Vol. 2, Issue I) (04.01.2007)