Areas of Practice
New York University School of Law, J.D., Flora S. and Jacob L. Newman Prize, 2008; Editor-in-Chief, NYU Journal of Law and Liberty
University of Calgary, BSc, with distinction, Mechanical Engineering, 2005; Chancellor’s Club Scholarship
Hon. Robert S. Smith, Associate Judge, New York Court of Appeals, 2008-2010
Mr. Ata has extensive experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial litigation, including cases involving antitrust violations, securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty claims, contract disputes, RICO, fraud, insurance disputes, and bankruptcy. He has represented clients ranging from former Fortune 10 CEOs and financial institutions to shareholders of closely held corporations, insurance companies, and construction companies.
A sample of Mr. Ata’s litigation representations includes:
- A private equity firm in a dispute with a major bank over the purchase of a third-party corporation.
- A county government against a monoline insurer in connection with auction and variable rate bonds.
- A shareholder of a closely-held corporation in a series of litigations arising from an internal dispute.
- A former CEO of a Fortune 10 company in civil litigation against state and federal governments.
- A group of financial institutions in multiple bankruptcy proceedings arising from the pyramid scheme of Bernard L. Madoff.
- A construction company in an investigation conducted by the New York District Attorney’s Office.
- A major sporting franchise in an antitrust dispute arising from the league-wide allocation of television territories in the United States domestic market.
- An insurance company, and former insurance executives, in litigation arising from a series of contracts among the insurance company and former affiliate entities.
- A private investment company in securities litigation arising from a Chinese reverse merger.
Mr. Ata earned his J.D. degree from New York University Law School. Following school, he clerked with the Honorable Robert S. Smith, Judge on the New York Court of Appeals. Before travelling to the United States for law school, Mr. Ata lived in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
The BSF Report: Spring 2013 (03.08.2013)