Martha L. Goodman
Areas of Practice
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., magna cum laude, 2011; Order of the Coif; Managing Director of Barristers' Council; Notes Editor, Georgetown Journal of International Law
University of Southern California, B.A., summa cum laude, History, 2006
Hon. Marjorie O. Rendell, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2011-12
Hon. Roslynn R. Mauskopf, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2012-13
District of Columbia
Martha Goodman's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation. Ms. Goodman has significant trial experience in federal court and has litigated cases in a wide variety of areas, including contract disputes, business torts, antitrust, securities fraud, and trade secrets.
Ms. Goodman’s recent experience includes:
- Serving as trial counsel in a high-profile antitrust class action involving the portable music player industry and winning a complete defense verdict from the jury where the class sought $350M before trebling;
- Representing a class of current and former Division I men's basketball and football players in an antitrust trial in O'Bannon v. NCAA (N.D. Cal.);
- Defending a major consumer electronics company in litigation against alleged fraud, unfair competition, securities and other business tort claims brought by competitor;
- Advising one of the largest Internet service provider and data transport companies in the world on competition and regulatory matters; and
- Representing the U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce and the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (as amici curiae) for briefing on the merits in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. in the United States Supreme Court.
Ms. Goodman shares in the firm's commitment to pro bono legal representation. Most recently, after active motion practice, Ms. Goodman obtained favorable settlements for her client in child custody and support disputes in D.C. Superior Court and subsequently defeated motions for contempt and to reduce support after an evidentiary hearing.
Ms. Goodman joined the firm following clerkships with Judge Marjorie Rendell of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and Judge Roslynn Mauskopf of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Prior to and during law school, Ms. Goodman served as a legislative assistant to Congresswoman Louise M. Slaughter.
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
Global Competition Review 2014 Litigation of the Year – Non-Cartel Prosecution
Global Competition Review 2014 Litigation of the Year – Non-Cartel Defense
Legislative Assistant, Office of Congresswoman Louise M. Slaughter (2007-2009)
Legal Extern, U.S. Department of State, Office of the Legal Adviser (2010)