t: + 44 207 614 0951
f: + 44 207 614 0999
Areas of Practice
Inns of Court School of Law, Bar Vocational Course, 1996
College of Law, London, Common Professional Examination, 1995
Durham University, B.A., Honours, Modern History, 1994
Bar of England & Wales
Solicitor of England & Wales
Natasha Harrison is the London Office Managing Partner of Boies, Schiller & Flexner (UK) LLP and an experienced English barrister and solicitor.
Ms. Harrison acts on behalf of financial institutions, including hedge funds and investment banks, in high stakes international litigation and arbitration. She has extensive experience in all types of finance and business disputes, including distressed debt investments, investments in special situations and emerging markets, sovereign debt investments, structured products and complex finance arrangements. Ms. Harrison has litigated many of the most important bondholder disputes of the last decade, and is regularly retained on behalf of hedge funds to provide strategic litigation advice pre and post investment.
Ms. Harrison has been recognised by Legal 500 and Chambers UK as a leading banking litigation lawyer; Super Lawyers and Who’s Who as a leading commercial litigator. She is described as “incredibly commercial for a litigator” with an “unparalleled ability” to turn a client’s thoughts into a “cogent argument.” Ms. Harrison has also been named in Financial News' 40 under 40: The rising stars of legal services’ (2013) and the “Hot 100” lawyers for banking litigation in London by The Lawyer (2011).
Representative Matters include:
- Icelandic Banks: Acting on behalf of the bondholders of the three collapsed Icelandic banks, Landsbanki, Kaupthing and Glitnir, the second largest insolvency in the world. The mandate included litigating on behalf of bondholders in their challenge to depositor priority and the Icelandic government’s emergency legislation, the forward-rate bias agreements, and the money market deposits.
- Sovereign Debt: Acting on behalf of holders of sovereign debt in the Eurozone, including holders of sovereign bonds issued or guaranteed by Greece, Cyprus, Spain and Portugal.
- The Co-operative Bank: Advising key hold out creditors in relation to the proposed restructuring of the Co-operative Bank.
- Royal Bank of Scotland: Advising a key hold out creditor in relation to the potential restructuring of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Elektrim: Acting on behalf of an ad hoc committee of holders of bonds issued by Elektrim Finance B.V. and guaranteed by Elektrim S.A. The matter resulted in no less than 10 successful judgments before the English Court and recovery of in excess of €700 million.
- Bank of Ireland: Acting on behalf of holders of debt issued by Bank of Ireland (UK) Holdings plc in relation to a potential Subordinated Liabilities Order.
- FCCBs: Acting on behalf of holders of defaulted FCCBs, including FCCBs issued by Sterling Biotech Ltd, Zenith, Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd, Shiv-Vani Oil & Gas Explorations Services Limited, and KSL & Industries Ltd.
- Arcapita Bank B.S.C.(c): Acting on behalf of a significant debt holder of Arcapita Bank, pre- and post- Chapter 11 filing.
- Restructuring: Advising numerous ad hoc committees of noteholders on litigation strategy, including the noteholders of Damovo, Greycoat, Ideal Standard, Kremikovtzi, Schefenacker and Torex Retail.
Vinashin: Acting on behalf of a significant creditor of the Vietnamese shipbuilding company, Vinashin, under and LMA agreement in litigation before the English High Court.
- Truvo: Acting on behalf of Majority Creditors in relation to the amendment to the mandatory pre-payment provisions, in litigation before the English Commercial Court. Succeeded upholding the amendment, on the basis that the amendment required majority consent only and not all Lender consent.
- Ideal Standard: Acting on behalf of Strategic Value Partners in an inter-creditor dispute arising in connection with the equity cure provisions in a senior facilities agreement
Investment Banking and Structured Products
- Acting on behalf of a leading investment bank in its claim under credit default swap.
- Acting on behalf of a leading investment bank in relation to its claim against LBIE in respect of LBIE’s default under a Share Lending Agreement between LBIE and SunPower Corp.
- Acting on behalf of a major investment bank in a dispute arising out of a fund management agreement
Insolvency/ Chapter 11
- Enron: Part of the core team on Enron Corp, following its filing for Chapter 11 and leading the team acting for the UK trading arm ECTRIC.
- Worldcom: Part of the core team acting on behalf of Worldcom following its filing for Chapter 11.
Bilateral Investment Treaty Claims and Litigation Funding
- Advising hedge funds and investment banks on bilateral investment treaties when structuring investments.
- Acting on behalf of various funds in relation to claims under bilateral investment treaties entered into by various countries, including Romania, Poland, Germany, Ireland and Greece.
- Advising on and structuring bespoke, high value litigation funding arrangements.
- Acting on behalf of a multinational company in connection with a claim valued in excess of $200 million arising out of the collapse of a consortium.
- Acting on behalf of an international telecoms company in a complex price adjustment dispute arising out of a share purchase agreement.
- Acting on behalf of a major investment bank upon the breakdown of a joint venture.
- Acting on behalf of directors in a US stockholder’s derivative complaint.
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
Chambers UK, leading lawyer in Banking Litigation
Legal 500, leading individual in Banking Litigation
The Lawyer, Hot 100 (2011)
Financial News, 40 under 40: The rising stars of legal services (2013)
Super Lawyer, Commercial Litigation, London (2013)
Who's Who, Commercial Litigation
City of London Law Society
European High Yield Association
London Solicitors Litigation Association
Complex Business and Financial Institutions Litigation: Strategies for a Successful Litigator, Litigation Client Strategies for the UK, Aspatore Books (2008)
Article, Bear Sterns Bank plc v Forum Global Equity Limited  EMHC 1576 (Comm), Journal of Bankruptcy Law (2007)
Article, IFE v Goldman Sachs  EWCA Civ 811, Journal of Payment Systems Law (2007)
International Arbitration Lawyer Wendy Miles to Join Boies, Schiller & Flexner in London (Press Release, September 4, 2014)
Seminars and Speaking Engagements
Panel, Leadership in Times of Change, Bank of America Merrill Lynch Leadership seminar (2012)
Moderator, Bondholder Disputes and Sovereign Immunity: Defaults and Arising Litigation, IBC Global Financial Institutions Litigation Conference, London (2011)
When the Dialogue Fails: Strategies for Distressed Investors, IIR's Annual Investing in Distressed Debt Conference, London (2008)