Natasha Harrison is the Managing Partner of the London Office of Boies, Schiller & Flexner (UK) LLP, and an experienced English barrister and solicitor.
Ms. Harrison acts on behalf of hedge funds, investment banks, corporations and governments in high-stakes international litigation and arbitration. She has extensive experience in all types of finance and business disputes, including distressed debt investments, investments in special situations and emerging markets, sovereign debt investments, securitisations and complex finance arrangements, and has litigated many of the most important investor disputes of the last decade. Ms. Harrison is regularly retained on behalf of clients to provide strategic litigation advice and to lead and coordinate large international commercial disputes.
Ms. Harrison is recognised as a leading banking litigator by Legal 500 and Chambers UK; by Super Lawyers, Who’s Who and Lawdragon as a leading commercial litigator. She won Best in Litigation at the Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards (2015), was named one of Financial News’s “Rising Stars of Legal Services” in 2013 and The Lawyer’s “Hot 100 2011” for banking litigation. Ms. Harrison has been described as "exceptionally talented," as “incredibly commercial for a litigator,” with an “unparalleled ability” to turn a client’s thoughts into a “cogent argument.”
Representative Matters include:
Financial Institutions Litigation
- Canary Wharf: Acting for the Class A1 Noteholders of Canary Wharf Finance II Plc in a high profile dispute arising out of the securitisation, and whether a Spens Payment fell due following an early partial redemption.
- FCC: Acting for holders of convertible notes and debt issued by the Spanish conglomerate Fomento de Construcciones y Contratas S.A. in litigation in England and Spain.
- Heta Bank: Acting for holders of senior notes issued by Heta Bank
- Lloyds: Acting for the institutions investors holding ECNs issued by Lloyds Banking Group.
- Icelandic Banks: Acting on behalf of the bondholders of the three collapsed Icelandic banks, Landsbanki, Kaupthing and Glitnir, the second largest insolvency in the world. The mandate included litigating on behalf of bondholders in their challenge to depositor priority and the Icelandic government’s emergency legislation, the forward-rate bias agreements, and the money market deposits.
- Acting on behalf of a leading international investment bank in its capacity as holder of Class A1 Notes issued under a number of related Collateralised Debt Obligations.
- Truvo: Acting on behalf of Majority Creditors in relation to the amendment to the mandatory pre-payment provisions, in litigation before the English Commercial Court. Succeeded upholding the amendment, on the basis that the amendment required majority consent only and not all Lender consent.
- Sovereign Debt: Acting on behalf of holders of sovereign debt in the Eurozone, including holders of sovereign bonds issued or guaranteed by Greece, Cyprus, Spain and Portugal.
- The Co-operative Bank: Advising key hold out creditors in relation to the proposed restructuring of the Co-operative Bank.
- Royal Bank of Scotland: Advising a key hold out creditor in relation to the potential restructuring of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Elektrim: Acting on behalf of an ad hoc committee of holders of bonds issued by Elektrim Finance B.V. and guaranteed by Elektrim S.A. The matter resulted in no less than 10 successful judgments before the English Court and recovery of in excess of €700 million.
- Bank of Ireland: Acting on behalf of holders of debt issued by Bank of Ireland (UK) Holdings plc in relation to a potential Subordinated Liabilities Order.
- FCCBs: Acting on behalf of holders of defaulted FCCBs, including FCCBs issued by Sterling Biotech Ltd, Zenith, Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd, Shiv-Vani Oil & Gas Explorations Services Limited, and KSL & Industries Ltd.
- Arcapita Bank B.S.C.(c): Acting on behalf of a significant debt holder of Arcapita Bank, pre- and post- Chapter 11 filing.
- Restructuring: Advising numerous ad hoc committees of noteholders on litigation strategy, including the noteholders of Damovo, Greycoat, Ideal Standard, Kremikovtzi, Schefenacker and Torex Retail.
- Vinashin: Acting on behalf of a significant creditor of the Vietnamese shipbuilding company, Vinashin, under and LMA agreement in litigation before the English High Court.
- Ideal Standard: Acting on behalf of Strategic Value Partners in an inter-creditor dispute arising in connection with the equity cure provisions in a senior facilities agreement
- Acting on behalf of a leading investment bank in its claim under credit default swap.
- Acting on behalf of a leading investment bank in relation to its claim against LBIE in respect of LBIE’s default under a Share Lending Agreement between LBIE and SunPower Corp.
- Acting on behalf of a major investment bank in a dispute arising out of a fund management agreement
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Acting on behalf of investors in a high stakes, high value board dispute, with litigation in multiple jurisdictions, including England, the BVI and Hong Kong.
- Acting on behalf of a regional government in connection with its oil disputes with a State.
- Acting on behalf of a regional government in relation to a dispute arising out of a Production Sharing Contract.
- Acting on behalf of a group of claimants in connection with the enforcement and execution of a judgment from the New York Courts of in excess of US$ 6 billion.
- Acting on behalf of a multinational company in connection with a claim valued in excess of $200 million arising out of the collapse of a consortium.
- Acting on behalf of an international telecoms company in a complex price adjustment dispute arising out of a share purchase agreement.
- Acting on behalf of a major investment bank upon the breakdown of a joint venture.
- Acting on behalf of directors in a US stockholder’s derivative complaint.
Insolvency/ Chapter 11
- Enron: Part of the core team on Enron Corp, following its filing for Chapter 11 and leading the team acting for the UK trading arm ECTRIC.
- Worldcom: Part of the core team acting on behalf of Worldcom following its filing for Chapter 11.
Bilateral Investment Treaty Claims and Litigation Funding
- Advising hedge funds and investment banks on bilateral investment treaties when structuring investments.
- Acting on behalf of various funds in relation to claims under bilateral investment treaties entered into by various countries, including Romania, Poland, Germany, Ireland and Greece.
- Advising on and structuring bespoke, high value litigation funding arrangements.
Winner: Best in Litigation, Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards (2015)
Chambers UK, leading lawyer in Banking Litigation (Band 1)
Legal 500, leading individual in Banking Litigation
Who's Who, Commercial Litigation (2012-2015)
Super Lawyer, Commercial Litigation, London (2013-2015)
Lawdragon, Commercial Litigation (2015)
Financial News, 40 under 40: The rising stars of legal services (2013)
The Lawyer, Hot 100 (2011)
Article, Hedge Funds and Litigation: A Brave New World, Capital Markets Law Journal (2015)
Complex Business and Financial Institutions Litigation: Strategies for a Successful Litigator, Litigation Client Strategies for the UK, Aspatore Books (2008)
Article, Bear Sterns Bank plc v Forum Global Equity Limited  EMHC 1576 (Comm), Journal of Bankruptcy Law (2007)
Article, IFE v Goldman Sachs  EWCA Civ 811, Journal of Payment Systems Law (2007)
London Office Wins Judgment for Canary Wharf Noteholders (January 28, 2016)
Three Partners Recognized in 'Who’s Who Legal: Litigation 2015' (October 30, 2015)
Three Boies, Schiller & Flexner lawyers win Europe "Women in Business Law" awards (June 19, 2015)
Boies, Schiller & Flexner obtains judgment for holders of FCC notes (April 16, 2015)
Hedge Funds and Litigation: A Brave New World (Capital Markets Law Journal)
BSF Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in 2014 London Super Lawyers Magazine (2014 London Super Lawyers)
International Arbitration Lawyer Wendy Miles to Join Boies, Schiller & Flexner in London (September 4, 2014)
Panel, Leadership in Times of Change, Bank of America Merrill Lynch Leadership seminar (2012)
Moderator, Bondholder Disputes and Sovereign Immunity: Defaults and Arising Litigation, IBC Global Financial Institutions Litigation Conference, London (2011)
Financial Institutions Litigation Conference, London (2011)
When the Dialogue Fails: Strategies for Distressed Investors, IIR's Annual Investing in Distressed Debt Conference, London (2008)