t: + 44 207 614 0956
f: + 44 207 614 0999
Areas of Practice
BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course, 2010
BPP Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law, 2009
University of Birmingham, B.A., English Literature, 2008; Tess Winnall Memorial Prize
England and Wales
Rights of Audience (Civil) - Higher Courts of England and Wales
Michael Jacobs advises clients on a broad range of contentious matters, with a particular focus on the banking and financial sectors. His practice covers litigation relating to complex financial and shareholder disputes, as well as UK and international regulatory investigations. He has experience of disputes arising out of a variety of financial products and arrangements, including securitisations, derivatives and commercial property loans. Representative matters include:
Financial Institutions Litigation
- Advising a syndicate of lenders on cross-border insolvency and intercreditor issues arising out of Spanish concurso voluntario proceedings in relation to a structured finance property transaction.
- Advising a hedge fund on potential claims arising out of the debt restructuring of an Austrian bank.
- Advising a retail bank in relation to litigation arising from the alleged mis-selling of interest rate hedging products to SMEs.
- Advising the majority lender syndicate in connection with litigation relating to the financing of the ‘Gherkin’ property (otherwise known as 30 St Mary Axe) and the ranking of swap counterparties according to the interpretation of the priority of payments clause.
- Representing a client in connection with litigation relating to the interpretation of clause 2(a)(iii) of the 1992 ISDA Master Agreement (payment subject to the condition precedent that no event of default is continuing).
- Representing an investment bank in connection with litigation relating to sums it claimed it was entitled to upon termination of a collateralised debt obligation (CDO) which it had provided finance for.
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Advising a noteholder in relation to LCIA arbitration concerning a securitisation of Russian financing receivables.
- Representing a client in relation to a jurisdiction challenge in the DIFC in the context of ongoing litigation and arbitration in California.
- Advising an oil and gas company in connection with a potential shareholder dispute relating to an Eastern European joint venture.
- Advising a fund in relation to a potential shareholder dispute.
- Advising an entertainment company on confidentiality, personal data and general litigation strategy in relation to unauthorised access to and publication of data by a third party.
- Advising a foreign governmental institution in connection with its constitutional rights and international litigation strategy.
- Advising a major creditor of a global investment bank in administration in relation to its proof of debt and related claims.
- Advising a syndicate of lenders on issues relating to the bankruptcy proceedings against a high net worth individual in the context of a wider financial restructuring.
- Representing a global investment bank in connection with regulatory inquiries and an internal investigation relating to foreign exchange trading.
- Advising various financial institutions in relation to enforcement, investigations and reports by the FCA, PRA and the UK Parliamentary Commission on Banking Standards.
- Advising a financial institution in relation to alleged breaches of the FCA’s client money rules (CASS).
- Advising a payment services institution on the application of the Payment Services Regulations 2009.