Wendy J. Miles QC
t: + 44 207 614 0950
f: + 44 207 614 0999
Areas of Practice
University of Canterbury, LLM, First Class Honours, 1998
University of Canterbury, BALLB, Law, English and history, 1994
Higher Courts of England and Wales
Wendy Miles QC is global head of arbitration in the London office of Boies, Schiller & Flexner and an experienced lawyer qualified in England and New Zealand. She concentrates on international arbitration, including under the auspices of the International Chamber of Commerce Court of Arbitration, London Court of International Arbitration, Permanent Court of Arbitration, Hong Kong International Arbitration Court, Singapore International Arbitration Court, Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, ICSID and UNCITRAL, and ad hoc arbitration and public international law.
Ms. Miles QC deals with both private and public international law issues. She has acted as advisor and advocate for a number of international companies and states or state parties in arbitration proceedings conducted in various jurisdictions. Key sectors include manufacturing, financial services, pharmaceutical, licensing, telecommunications, insurance, construction and energy. She was lead co-counsel for South Sudan in the Abyei Arbitration, a major boundary delimitation proceeding conducted under the auspices of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague.
Ms. Miles QC is currently a Vice President of the International Chamber of Commerce’s Court of Arbitration and regularly sits as an arbitrator in commercial disputes. She is a representative on a number of professional bodies, including the International Chamber of Commerce Commission on Arbitration and ADR, where she currently co-chairs the Task Force on Costs in Arbitration and previously acted as rapporteur for the Task Force on National Rules of Procedure for Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards Pursuant to the New York Convention of 1958. She is also Chair of the Board of Trustees and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Great Britain and a member of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law’s Investment Treaty Forum, the ICC New Zealand International Arbitration Committee, the International Law Association, and the International Bar Association, where she is also Secretary of the Arbitration Committee.
Ms. Miles QC regularly teaches in the field of arbitration, including as a founding member of the Executive Committee for the Geneva-based Foundation for International Arbitration Advocacy. She has also lectured at the University of Geneva (LL.M. in International Dispute Settlement), Queen Mary University of London, King’s College London, and University College London.
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
- Took Silk as Queen’s Counsel in February 2015
- Ranked among the leading international arbitration lawyers in Chambers UK (2003-2015) and as a leader in the field of international arbitration in Chambers Europe (2008-2015) and Chambers Global (2006-2015)
- Won the award for Best in Commercial Arbitration at the Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards (2015)
- Recommended in the Legal 500 UK for Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration (2008-2015) and Dispute Resolution: Public International Law (2012-2014)
- Recognized in Who’s Who Legal: International Business Lawyers (2011-2015)
- Recognized as a top lawyer in Alternative Dispute Resolution in London Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2015)
- Recommended in the Practical Law Company’s Which Lawyer? handbook for commercial dispute resolution in England and the Euromoney Experts in Commercial Arbitration (2005-2014)
- Nominated for the Legal Media Group’s Women in Business Law Awards in the category Best in Commercial Arbitration (2011)
- Recognized in the Legal Media Group’s Women in Business Law (2010)
- Recognized in the Global Arbitration Review’s list of 30 Women in Arbitration
- Recognized in the Global Arbitration Review's list of 45 leading international arbitration lawyers under 45
Ms. Miles has published and spoken widely on issues of international arbitration. Since 2004 she has been a contributing editor of the International Comparative Legal Guide to International Arbitration, published by Global Legal Group. In her academic work she retains a special interest in the use of international dispute resolution agreements in intra-state peace negotiations and settlements.
London Lawyers Ranked in Chambers UK and Legal 500 (November 2, 2016)
Boies, Schiller & Flexner Partner Wendy Miles to take Silk (January 14, 2015)
Solicitor-advocates take silk (In The News)
BSF Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers in 2014 London Super Lawyers Magazine (2014 London Super Lawyers)
Costs Allocation in Investor-State Arbitration (11.28.2014)
Seminars and Speaking Engagements
Wendy Miles to Deliver 2016 Proskauer Lecture on International Arbitration (2016)
Wendy Miles to Present at International Arbitration Event on Climate Change (2015)
Casablanca Arbitration Days (2014)
2nd Annual Global Arbitration Review (GAR) Live Paris (2014)