Our Commitment to Your Privacy
- how and why we collect certain information from you via the website and the online services provided through the website;
- with whom we share such information;
- how we store that information, including information as to how we secure the information;
- how you can access and update such information; and
- other relevant aspects of our policy.
Information We Collect and How We Use It
Non-personal Information. Like many websites, we may collect certain technical information about your use of the website and generally this is not information the Firms could use to identify you without reference to other information. For example, we may collect your internet protocol (IP) address, browser type, the identity of your internet service provider (ISP), the number and duration of page visits, how you were directed to the website, and the number of clicks you make when you use the website. This does not include demographic information about you. We track and reference your usage information, in aggregation with the usage information of other visitors to the website, to better understand how effective our website is and how visitors interact with it. We may use third parties, such as Google and our website host, to provide analytics services based on this data. The analytics and the underlying data are generally only accessible to the Firms and their third party providers.
Please note, do not track signals are not effective on our website.
Personal Information. You have the opportunity to submit personal information (such as name, company affiliation, job title, email address, phone number, physical address, and whether or not you are a current firm client) via the website for the following purposes:
- Receiving BSF communications or publications. If you request an eNewsletter, a White Paper, or a subscription to either or a Blog, we use this information to send you the requested publications. The Firms or their service providers may use persistent cookies to identify you as a subscriber and continue to deliver content to you.
- Registering as an alumnus. If you choose to register as an alumnus of the firm, we use this information to send you news and updates.
- Asking for further information. You have the opportunity to provide feedback to us or make inquiries of us through the “Contact Us” link. We use this information to communicate with you as requested.
Sharing of Your Information
We may share your personal information with third parties in one or more of the following ways:
- Third party service providers, such as website hosts: We use third parties to host our website. These third parties may have access to your personal information submitted through the website consistent with the hosting of the site.
- Successor organizations. In the event the Firms undergo a business transition (such as a merger or acquisition), we may transfer your personal information to the successor organization in such transaction. If material changes to the Firms’ privacy practices will occur as a result of the business transition, the Firms will post a notice on the website.
We do not share or sell personally identifiable information to third parties for their commercial marketing purposes.
We reserve the right to disclose your personal information as permitted or required by law or regulation.
How We Store Information Collected from You
We store your personal and non-personal information with the hosting providers discussed above. Our administrative departments may store application information in accordance with firm retention practices.
The Firms will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your information is treated securely and in accordance with our normal procedure, this policy, and all applicable laws.
The Firms use reasonable administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect your personal and non-personal information, online and offline. Because of the nature of our website, we do not currently encrypt any transmissions to or from the website in any manner. If you are uncomfortable with the unencrypted transmission of personal information described herein, please do not submit information to us through the website.
Our employees, including contract employees, are generally subject to restrictions which limit their use of information obtained from the Firms to the business purpose of providing our services to you.
However, while we take reasonable precautions against possible security breaches of the website and our customer databases and records, no website or Internet transmission is completely secure, and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized access, hacking, data loss, or other breaches will never occur. Owners of personal information are generally advised to take steps to keep their personal information safe to the extent possible.
The information which we may collect from you may be transferred to, stored at and processed by us in a destination outside of the European Economic Area (the “EEA”), including countries whose laws concerning data privacy may not be comparable to those in EEA jurisdictions, but will only be done so in accordance with the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles.
How to Access and Update Your Personal Information
At any time, you may contact the Firms to request that we make changes to your personal information. If you request that the Firms update or otherwise modify your information, we will amend your personal information within a reasonable time after your request. To request modifications of personal information that the Firms possesses about you, please contact us using the information in the “Contact Us” section below.
However, please note that, after your personal information is changed, the Firms will continue to have the right to store all personal information collected from you through the website (including personal information which is no longer in active use due to its amendment in accordance with this Section) in our archives and to use and disclose such personal information for certain purposes permitted or required by applicable laws, including as we deem necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, to enforce our rights, or to protect the safety and security of our website or other users. For example, we are required by law to retain job applicant information for a minimum of three years.
Our Policies Concerning Information from Minors
This website is not intended for children under the age of thirteen and we do not knowingly collect personal information from such children. Children under the age of thirteen should not use our website or provide us with any personal information.
In the event that we learn that we have inadvertently gathered personal information from children under the age of 13, we will use reasonable efforts to erase such information from our records.
This policy was last updated on March 9, 2015.