Boies, Schiller & Flexner serves as counsel to many of the world's premier sports organizations. Some of the Firm's leading sports industry clients include, among others, the New York Yankees, the YES Network, the New York Jets, NASCAR, International Speedway Corporation, the Motor Racing Network, and Team New Zealand.
These and other clients routinely engage the Firm to represent them in some of their most important litigation and commercial matters. Recently, for example, the Firm secured summary judgment for NASCAR in antitrust litigation that sought to force NASCAR to change its long-established and highly-successful way of doing business. In addition to the NASCAR victory, the Firm's sports law related representations also include:
- litigation with Texas Motor Speedway regarding the placement of NASCAR's premier racing events in the Sprint Cup Series;
- litigation against Cablevision related to the New York Jets' effort to build a stadium and convention center on the West Side of Manhattan;
- arbitral award for YES Network for long term carriage agreement with distributor;
- successfully defending the New York Yankees in litigation over the construction of a new stadium in the Bronx;
- litigation against Team Alinghi (Switzerland) by Team New Zealand which alleges that Team Alinghi, among other things, conspired to create a sham yacht club to enter a challenge, harming competition in the market for the sale of sponsorship rights;
- litigation with New Hampshire International Speedway regarding Motor Racing Network's rights to broadcast certain motorsports events;
- litigation against the former majority owner of the Cleveland Browns over his refusal to pay a finder's fee in connection with his purchase of the franchise in 1962;
- representation of a leading candidate in its application to operate New York's premier horseracing tracks;
- litigation concerning fraud in the management of thoroughbred racehorse stallion shares that resulted in a jury verdict awarding our client compensatory and punitive damages; and
- litigation related to the NFL's failure to approve the sale of the Washington Redskins to the highest bidder.
Boies, Schiller & Flexner also regularly counsels sports industry individuals and organizations on business matters involving corporate governance, structured finance, securities laws, and tax issues.